Thursday, November 10, 2016

Talking to children about elections


NNSP Logo
Greetings!  

I spent a great deal of time yesterday reflecting on what transpired over the last 16 months in our election cycle. As I struggled with the glaring division and animosity displayed throughout our country, I became increasingly focused on the importance of my job and the mission of NNSP.

Never has there been a greater need for community engagement and partnership programs in our schools. What could be more important than helping our students develop empathy, learn to ask respectful questions and become comfortable working with others who are different than they are?

The work you are doing in your school is crucial to helping us become a national community that can listen humbly, participate in meaningful conversations and respectfully advocate for change.  I am grateful to be involved in this work and even more so, I am grateful for all that you do with your students, our emerging citizens.

I've attached below a couple of resources I found helpful on how to talk about the election with your students as well as a truly inspirational TED Talk by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie titled "The Danger of a Single Story".  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thank you for all that you do for our children.  I hope that today finds you inspired by the value of your work and the need to continue to expand community engagement and partnership programs to all schools across the country.

With gratitude,

Blake Kohn
Executive Director
National Network of Schools in Partnership
  Talking to Kids About the Elections 
Jen Cort
Educational Consultant



 Teaching Tolerance, Election Resources
Southern Poverty Law Center







What Do We Tell the Children?
Huffington Post
The danger of a single story 
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Award winning author and MacArthur Foundation Fellow
TED Talks

No comments:

Post a Comment